Is it starting to feel a little cold where you are? Winter is on its' way. I have so far managed to refrain from getting too Christmassy (is that how you spell it? Spell-check doesn't like any of my attempts to spell it!) but this week I am showing you something I have made which could be a Christmas gift.
NEWS -NEWS - NEWS - NEWS -NEWS - NEWS - NEWS
New stamp release from Visible Image - pre-orders now being taken!
You are going to love this new selection of stamps from Visible Image,
trust me I have seen them ALL and they are amazing!
I am partial to a bit of up-cycling as you know. Remember the little chalkboard cum key rack that I modified recently? Blog post HERE Well, this little drawer unit started out quite plain and uninteresting but I have decorated it using the Revolution stamp set from Visible Image. I picked it up in a charity shop and have had it in my stash for a few months now. I suspect the previous owner used it for storing cotton wool balls in as the inside was a little fluffy to say the least! Anyway, after some sanding down and de-fluffing I set about beautifying it.
I started by giving the whole thing a coat of matt varnish, one with a dye included. Not only did it liven up the dull wood but it also gave me a good base to stamp onto. I have found that stamping directly onto wood can be a bit hit and miss. It can sometimes 'bleed' into the grain and you get a blurry image. OK if you want that look but I needed this to be sharp and crisp as the script stamp is so detailed, I wanted to keep it readable!
Once the varnish was dry I stamped the script using black Stazon ink. Although this usually dries very quickly I left it for an hour before doing the next lot of stamping 'just in case'.
Next I stamped some of the decorative elements using black embossing powder. I admit that it didn't work as I wanted it to. It got lost on the background and so I re-stamped the elements this time using gold embossing powder. This turned out to be a good mistake as this gold over black gives a shadow effect which I really like. Lastly I added some red Stazon swirls.
As the piece is decorated with permanent stamp ink and the embossing is technically waterproof, I opted not to give it another coat of varnish. I was worried that there might be a reaction or that the varnish would cause the ink to bleed. It is obviously not a piece I would recommend to be used in any wet, damp rooms, like a bathroom or a kitchen but I would think this would be perfect for a bedroom for your jewellery, or make-up or even cotton wool balls!
Click HERE to find out how to enter the challenge
This month the theme is Your Favourite Visible Image Stamp.
Click HERE to go to the Facebook group.
Ask to join if you haven't already.
Click HERE to subscribe to the Newsletter
Click HERE to go to the Visible Image blog to see
DT inspiration projects and check out the Gallery.
Click HERE to go to my KimzKrafts Facebook page
See you next week for another Marvellous Monday and in the mean time enjoy your week, get crafty and show us what you have been up to!
Happy Days! Kim J
A beautiful project!ReplyDelete
This is amazing Kim xReplyDelete
Hi Kim this is an amazing project it will make a wonderful present. Hugs JackieReplyDelete
Fabulous project! Great upcycling.ReplyDelete