Monday 28 April 2014

Amazon Blue with Creative Expressions


Hello and welcome! Now for those of you that have stumbled into here looking for exotic Amazonian birds then I am sorry, you are in the wrong place. My blog title refers to a lovely product that the mail order company Amazon send to me regularly. Well, every time they send me something they send this to me free. I am talking about the packaging! I am a hoarder and a recycler so it was only natural that sooner or later you would be seeing one of the projects made from a 'waste' material.






Doesn't look like my card was made from something you would normally put in your recycling bin does it? I used one that carried a DVD, so a bit bigger than A5. (The one pictured is a CD box so slightly smaller than A5) Anyway, the inside is usually totally blank and with a bit of trimming you can get some decent sized pieces. Granted the decoration has done a great job of enhancing things but free card is free card at the end of the day! 




First thing is to trim off the glued, ripped, printed on, damaged bits from the packet leaving you with a nice thick piece of card ready for treatment!


I used the fabulously versatile Ivy Corner to create the background. I used a couple of brown distress inks, Brushed Corduroy and Vintage Photo but any brown shades would be fine. I also added a couple of impressions of the lady bird that comes with the Ivy stamp.

I really like the idea of mixing tough chunky card with delicate lacy die cuts and for this I used a standard piece of kraft card.



I would be *****VERY CAUTIOUS***** about using the thick Amazon packaging card with a thin die. It may well work but I don't see it as worth taking the chance. I used Foundations Kraft card for the die cuts, better safe than sorry!! 

To make these die cuts stand out I coloured them using Faded Jeans distress ink. I love the way this denim blue goes so well with this brown/sepia/vintage look. It won't be the last time you see me using this combination! 

I used the denim blue again to stamp a few butterflies onto Kraft card which I then cut out and placed on the card in 'the right place'. You will probably want to play around a bit with the positioning before you stick them down. Only you will know the 'right place'. The butterflies and sentiment are from a couple of Sam Poole plates, Butterfly Kiss and Natures Wonders, both available from Creative Expressions.

Some final touches, like roughing up the edges of the Amazon card with a blade and a piece of twine for the sentiment and it's done! 

Main Ingredients
Right, I am a busy lady at the moment, packing ready for my move to Wales. I can't wait for moving day! 

Hope you have enjoyed my post today, why not tell me what you think by leaving a comment? It is so nice to hear from you. Have a lovely week. Take care and I will see you again next week.

Kim 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I must have a go at using some packaging like this. Just did the recycling - whoops! Good luck with the move! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim
    I thought I was the only one that used the packaging of things lol. I love what you've done with yours. Good luck with your move and welcome to Wales xx

    ReplyDelete