Wednesday 30 April 2014

Using NEW Sue Wilson Dies

Something of surprise for you today. I was asked a few weeks ago to do some projects using the NEW Sue Wilson dies and sworn to secrecy until the lady herself approved of the work. I had the 'all clear' the other day to blog about them so here it is! As it was a few weeks ago when I made them and I no longer have the projects in my possession, I am going to have to reply on memory and the photos I took to guide me through the writing! 

The projects feature the Cordoba die set from Creative Expressions, designed by Sue Wilson herself, and a stamp that works well with the die. It fits inside the die cut, and there are other stamps and dies that will work well together in this way.
Spanish Collection Cordoba Die   Woven Leaves Pre Cut Stamp


The first project is a blue and white card where I have used the die, parts of the die and the stamp to create a multi-layered focal point. 


I started by experimenting to be honest! I made several pieces with and without embossing, with and without stamping and brought them all together with some dark blue card. Let me show you some close up shots to help you (and me!) see in more detail what I did.

  

The main whole piece was first stamped then cut and embossed. The edges were distressed and it was mounted on a piece of plain navy blue card. Using the experimental pieces, one just cut and embossed and another done the same way as the main piece, I cut them into quarters and placed them in such a way so as to give the impression that they are much bigger. This is a great way of making the dies work for you. The pieces of the die that are in the middle along the edges cover up the gaps left by the pieces placed at the corners. I used Tim Holtz distress ink in Chipped Sapphire.

The centre panel with the sentiment was stamped onto the oval that pops out of the middle of the die. I used the Thank You from the A5 Frame stamp plate.


The Purple Iris card was made in much the same way, experimentation and selective cutting! I used the polka dots embossing folder to give the background a link to the dots around the border of the die. These embossed areas were highlighted with distress ink, brushing gently over the paper directly with the ink pad.  I used the Iris stamp from the same A5 Frame plate, mainly because it fitted perfectly on the oval but also because it was on my workspace! Looking closely at the picture I think I can see that the stamp was used on the piece of card which is under the die cut. I used Tim Holtz distress ink in Dusty Concord.

Hope you have enjoyed this additional blog? I enjoyed making the pieces and am thrilled that Sue approved them!

Kim x

2 comments:

  1. Two fabulous cards Kim I love all of Sue's stamps and dies they make it so easy to make beautiful cards.
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete